Saturday, April 2, 2011

Home run King Bautista get the Royal treatment (Reuters)

TORONTO (Reuters) - Toronto Blue Jays of fielder Jose Bautista was an unknown companion who could walk the streets without a second glance a year ago.

But the Blue Jays begin a new season against the Minnesota Twins Friday, Bautista was no longer a stranger, but one of the athletes more popular and the most recognizable of Toronto, the reigning Major League home run King and the face of the franchise.

"wow," smiled Bautista, such as the media locker are engulfed. "It is a little surreal, but most of the time, it has been for the better, not worse."

"I'm in a good place where I am wanted, where I want to so I am a happy man."

A club record and Major League best 54 homers earned Bautista fan support and a five year contract, 65 million with the Jays, slamming will be hoping that the age of 30 years of Dominican Republic is not one-season wonder.

Until last year was more plugger slugger Bautista, best known for his arm rifle that is booming, never more than 16 homeruns in one of its six previous seasons.

In 2004, he was the resolutely in a much less flattering category, most of the teams have played in a season.

He began the year with Baltimore, which had led in draft rule 5 waivers has been claimed by the Rays of Tampa Bay, which him later to the Royals in Kansas City sold.

Kansas City then transferred him to the Mets in New York who sent it to Pittsburgh, bringing his career full circle for the Pirates, the team which he drafted originally in 2000.

Three Bautista filled seasons in Pittsburgh, but it is that he was transferred to Toronto in 2008 that he finally obtained the Groove that all major league hitters.

As Tiger Woods, Bautista by a review of swing worked last season, changes and small tweaks produce a year of career, that no one saw coming.

"What I did last season seemed to work and I'll try to be consistent with my approach and the things that has allowed me to be successful, said Bautista.".

"I'll keep my realistic goals, I am not should take something special to do."

"I my success is not based on the number of homeruns I but I want to be productive, I would like to drive in runs."

The big question is whether it can follow and while nobody expects him to blistering performance last year that he will be taken into account to occur in the implementation of the weight and expectations that come with his new contract.

"Our expectations of Jose are the same they were a year ago and it is not a number of home runs hit,", said the Blue Jays first year manager John Farrell.

"It is his day preparation and this is what allowed him to be able to succeed."

"I think that it is one thing, that we are fortunate that Jose, it is a very intelligent player also so very talented.".

(Amended by Greg Stutchbury)

No comments:

Post a Comment