Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Fredette BYU, Notre Dame de Brey get awards AP (AP)

Jimmer Fredette-HOUSTON was a star of a single name in his last season at BYU.

The country in scoring position helped on a team from the second half of the season ranked in the top 10.

Friday, Fredette - excuse me; Jimmer - was selected Associated Press player of the year.

"It is quite a turn and it is very fun and I would not repeat anything, Fredette a."I had quite the career at BYU."" "There were many ups and downs, but there were many more ups this year".

The Cougars won the title in the regular season Mountain West Conference and San Diego State lost in the last tournament. A seed of no. 3 in the NCAA tournament, they lost to Florida in overtime in eighths and is finished with a record of 32-5.

"I knew from the beginning we can be a very good year with the boys to come back, and it is one of the most talented teams that I've ever played on," said Fredette, who was averaging 28.5 points. "When we started to play well and beat Arizona, and I knew from there that we could be a force." This is what has happened because we stayed hungry throughout the year, and it is that we separated from the other teams. »

Our Lady of Mike Brey was selected coach of the year as he led the Irish in fighting a second place finish in the Big East and not. 5 ranking in the last survey.

"The personality of this group was so stable or it is a great victory or a loss, they have remained stable," said Brey, who spent eleven seasons at notre-Dame. "When she had great victories no change." If they had a heavy loss do not change. "Stable is the word".

Fredette received 48 votes in the 65-member national media panel which selects the weekly Top 25. Right to vote was made before the NCAA tournament.

Kemba Walker of Connecticut was second with 11 votes. Nolan Smith of the Duke had five and Jared Sullinger in the State of Ohio one.

"To see the Jimmer progress and a leader of his team that his legacy will be basketball," said BYU coach Dave Rose. "It is pushed not only the best player, it may be, but is how he has helped his teammates to win." He has always found a way. This is what I remember most.

Fredette is the first BYU player to win the award and the first West of the mountain since Andrew Bogut for Utah in 2005.

Next to the project of Fredette NBA 6-foot-3.

"I have the impression that, as long as I get in a good situation can I can succeed, but this is the situation", he said. "I hope, if I were in this situation I will prove that I can play and the respect of my teammates, coaches and General Manager, worldwide involved and I hope that playing well for them.".

BREY in the fight against the Irish 27-7 record, their victories of second most in a season. Their brand of 14-4 in Big East tied their record for Conference WINS. Notre Dame has been a seed No. 2 Florida State, NCAA tournament lost in the third round.

BREY attracted by 28 votes, 14 more than finalist Steve Fisher of San Diego State.

BREY is the first Notre Dame coach to win the award, and it is the second straight Big East coach to obtain after Jim Boeheim of Syracuse last year.

A tournament early in the season in Orlando, Florida, so-called Brey that he had the makings of a good team.

""I made sure that cut us nets in Orlando and said Disney people"We Don ' t" I said ' do you this year. "Get a scale". As independent for as long that we do not have many chances to break down the nets. The large image and for this year. Boost was enormous confidence. »

No comments:

Post a Comment